Ashlee deSteiger is a mom of 3 and founder of Gunder Wealth Management based here in Birmingham! She does it all! Fun fact? She runs the business with her husband, Joe. They are dedicated to creating better financial lives for busy individuals and families. Read more to learn about Ashlee, her family and her incredible business.
How many children do you have and what are their names and ages?
- We have 3 kids. Bennett is 6 and she has two younger brothers, Graham (4) and Riggs (3)
Where do your kids go to school?
- Bennett is in Kindergarten at Pierce, and Graham and Riggs attend Little Lambs at Christ Church Cranbrook full-time.
You run a financial planning management business here in Birmingham. Tell us more about it and how you got into business with your husband.
- Joe joined me in November 2020, just over a year after I launched. Honestly, COVID made a lot of previously impossible things, possible 😉. Economies of scale, having complete autonomy over our schedules, and defining who we want to work with and how were key drivers.
Tell us a fun fact about you and your husband.
- Even though we went to Miami of Ohio together, we didn’t meet until we flew together to interview for our accounting internships in Chicago.
And for all those wife/husband’s duos… what is your #1 tip for working together and maintaining a strong relationship at work and at home?
- There really is no delineation between work and family – the lines are always blurred! First and foremost, we have confidence in each other. But candidly, every day certainly isn’t rainbows and unicorns like my Lisa Frank Trapper Keeper. Nonetheless, we’re aligned and motivated, and our skill sets complement one another. When a new opportunity comes our way, it’s important for us to determine the sacrifice, accept the risk, and believe it will pay off. But doesn’t that sequence apply to all of us?!?
What can people expect when they come to Gunder Wealth.
- We start with a conversation! We want to change the narrative on how our parents’ generation approached wealth management. Most of our clients are balancing financial resources and navigating life’s choices. So we start by exploring what’s possible given where they are today and their values. Then we discuss various scenarios on how to accomplish meaningful goals. We believe that maintaining a well-organized financial life takes time – it’s best to find a coach that you trust to hold you accountable along the way.
Do you have 3 tips for when it comes to financial planning?
- Automate your investments. Sticking to a budget is hard, if not impossible, for most. Instead, we suggest committing to a systematic investment to make it easier to digest. Small tweaks today can have a significant impact over time.
- Remember that time is on your side. Whether it’s the power of compounding or minimizing your lifetime tax liability, the longer your runway, the better.
- Work with someone you trust. Finances are emotional. Once you establish the foundation of your plan, it’s easier to take the emotion out of it. Don’t succumb to inaction, endless Googling, and ignorance!
What made you decide to raise your family here?
- Joe is from Rochester Hills. It was hard to leave Chicago after 9 years, but I knew deep down that raising a family in the city wouldn’t be a cakewalk. We love the walkability of Birmingham and proximity to downtown Detroit to try new restaurants and go to events.
What’s your favorite family activity to do during the summer months?
- We took the kids camping for the first-time last year, and needless to say, it’s been a highly requested event ever since. It will be interesting to see if our second experience this summer lives up to the hype!
What are you and your family looking forward to in 2022?
- More adventures. I was so looking forward to 2020 for various reasons. I’m excited to say “yes” more often this year.
What do you do to balance your own life and motherhood? What do you do for “me” time? Juggling your own business and kids is always hard work.
- It is! I don’t know that there is ever really “balance,” but I can say that my mornings are sacred. Whether it’s working out, taking a cold shower, working on my Wim Hof breathwork, or sitting in our infrared sauna, if I don’t do it first thing, it won’t happen.
Anyone special you’d like to thank for helping you through parenthood?
- The Moms On Call book was instrumental in helping us set up a schedule as parents. I’d also say our neighborhood. We’re surrounded by really fantastic people all in the same or similar stage of life.
Thank you Ashlee for sharing your family and your business with our community! If you’re interested in learning more and how Gunder Wealth can help your family achieve their financial goals feel free to reach out to her.
Phone: 248 686 0820
Email: [email protected]