Meet Dr. Karlee Novice of Novice Group Dermatology. Mom to sweet Sofie who just turned one and her four-legged fur baby Banks. She joined her father just over 3.5 years ago here in Bloomfield at Novice Group of Dermatology. Like father, like daughter. She shares some of the must have skincare needs, (hint.. SPF) and all about her Dermatology practice with her father. You can find them enjoying a nice dinner at Forest or hitting up the golf course. Read more about Karlee and her beautiful family.
How many children do you have and what are their names and ages?
- One sweet daughter Sofie who just turned one! The first grandchild and niece on my side – she has been nicknamed “the family baby.” And, of course, our first born four-legged fur baby, Banks, who is two and a half!
Where do your kids go to school?
- Sofie is home for now, and Banks spends his days at “Bubbie Daycare” with my amazing mother and her Goldador (half Golden Retriever, half Yellow Lab) Honey!
You have a family led business, Novice Group of Dermatology, tell us more about your practice?
- I joined my father, Dr Fred Novice’s dermatology practice 3.5 years ago. He has been in practice for over 25 years. It is one of my greatest joys and privileges in life to have the opportunity to work and learn with my father. We truly enjoy all facets of dermatology and really pride ourselves in taking care of the entire patient – from medical to cosmetic to surgical needs in patients of all ages. We truly love what we do!
What can we expect when we come into Novice Group of Dermatology?
- Patients can expect to meet our amazing staff, who are both knowledgeable and friendly and allow us to provide the best dermatologic care possible. One unique thing at our practice is that patients experience a blend of the expertise gained from my father’s years of practice with fresh techniques that I learned in my residency. First and foremost, we value the human connection with our patients and try to go above and beyond for each and every one.
A mom must always have this information. What are best skincare practices?
- A moisturizer with daily sunscreen is a must! For those who are not trying to get pregnant or nursing, a retinol or retinoid cream is the best way to keep up with the aging process (you just have to be careful which one you use and how often you use it because they can be drying and irritating).
What are some of the offerings that you provide clients?
- Comprehensive medical care from skin exams looking for skin cancers (I had my first skin cancer at age 27 so it’s imperative everyone sees a dermatologist for regular exams!), rashes, acne, rosacea, psoriasis – if it’s on your skin, hair or nails, I want to see it!
- A wholesome, comprehensive cosmetic approach – our goal is to provide natural results and to stay active in the aging process. We have many tools from neuromodulators (Botox, Dysport, Daxxi), fillers, chemical peels, light sources, lasers, microneedling, platelet rich plasma, skin care products etc.
- Surgical needs from removal of cysts, lipoma, ear lobe repairs to excisions of melanoma and treatment of skin cancers and more!
Tell us a fun fact about you?
- I’m a dual citizen – American and Canadian. Both my parents were born and raised in Toronto, and I’ve spent a meaningful part of my life visiting Toronto and all my family that lives there! My husband and I got married there as well <3
What made you decide to raise your family here?
- Both my husband and I were born and raised in Michigan and to have the opportunity to be close to family meant everything to us. Not to mention, I have the best job ever working alongside my father with such a special group of patients.
What is your family most looking forward to do this summer? Thankfully it’s not too far away. We need some sunshine.
- Well, my husband is definitely excited about golfing! I will continue to discuss taking golf lessons. We also love barbequing and are already enjoying our post dinner family walks! We also spend a lot of time in the summer on the lake and we cannot wait to share that with Sofie!
What are some of the places you love take your family? Restaurants, Museums, Ice Cream stores?
- You are likely to find us dining at Forest (our favorite restaurant in Birmingham!) at some point within in the week.
What do you do to balance your own life and motherhood? What do you do for “me” time? Juggling your own business and kids is always hardwork.
- Working out is a highlight of my day. Although my routine looks different now with our daughter, I take whatever time I can! Even if it is just a 5- or 10-minute strength program, I am grateful to move my body and take some time to reset. It really is my happy place.
Anyone special you’d like to thank for helping you through parenthood?
- The list is very long – it really does take a village! Very grateful for my parents, siblings and in-laws who live so close and are so eager to love and care for our girl – hence the name “family baby!” Between my sister-in-law in Chicago and my cousins in Toronto (all with kids), I am talking to one of them nearly every day about all things babies, eating, sleeping, toys, school etc. I’m lucky to have a lot of openminded, non-judgmental, and supportive friends who I can lean on as well.
Novice Group Dermatology
4120 W Maple Rd, Bloomfield Hills, MI 48301